Isn’t it disappointing and frustrating when you’re gaming with your friends of steam and out of the blue PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from pc? This is a common glitch in the gaming world, and it equally involves USB and Bluetooth. Some gamers have reported that it disconnects after a couple of seconds of connecting, while it happens at any time for others.
A solution is to resync your controller. Resyncing will give you time to save game progress before resetting the system completely. Let’s dive deep and understand why is PS4 controller losing connection and how it fix it, respectively.
Why does my PS4 controller losing connection
There are various reasons why your ps4 keeps disconnecting from wifi. Outdated Bluetooth drivers, lousy firmware, signal interference from nearby devices, damaged USB ports, controller support, or operating system issues are only some of the likely causes.
Regardless of the model of your windows or PS4 controller, this article will give you some handy tips and tricks to figure out why your ps4 controller keeps desyncing and solve it in no time.
Fix PS4 controller disconnecting from PC
Why PS4 controller keeps desyncing?
Suppose your PS4 controller keeps desyncing, no worries! You may reset and restart it, but you will lose all your progress. A quick and easy solution is to resync it
- Plugin your controller into the PS console using a USB Cable.
- Press down on the PS button.
Now your PS4 controller will resync with the console, and you’re all good to go! The best thing about this is that your progress won’t be lost either. You can save your game before resetting.
Check out our article on how to fix PS4 controller leg when your PS4 keeps desyncing.
Restart the PS4 controller?
If resyncing and resetting did not work out for you, try restarting your PS4 controller. It is similar to resetting the controller. The only difference is that it takes longer.
Here’s how to do it.
- Turn off your PlayStation4.
- Press down on the power button for a couple of seconds until you hear two beeps.
- Unplug the PS4 console from the power outlet.
- Keep it unplugged for a couple of minutes so that it can cool off and reset itself.
- Now plug in the power cable and controller to the PS4 console using a USB.
- Now turn on the console, and your PS4 will have restarted.
Reset your PS4 controller
If pressing down on the PS button does not solve the issue for you, it is time to turn off your console. With your PS4 console off and the power cable unplugged, go ahead with the reset of PS4 controller.
Here’s how to do it.
- Using a sharp paper clip, poke down on the reset button located next to the L2 button on the rear of your console.
- Now plug in your controller to the console using a USB cable.
- The controller will not resync with the console, and you are good to go.
PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from PC Bluetooth
If you use a Bluetooth device to connect your controller, your ps4 controller likely keeps disconnecting. Please stick with us as we explain what works if this solution does not work for you, then no need to worry as we have a section on what to do if nothing works.
How to fix it:
Even if you manage to successfully connect your DualShock4 controller to the PS4 console, it won’t work unless the Bluetooth driver is installed. It would help if you were extra sure that you install the Bluetooth driver to your PC successfully before starting.
NOTE: Please note that this is a temporary solution, and you may have to perform it every time you connect your controller.
Follow these steps to install the Bluetooth driver successfully.
- If you use a Windows PC, go to the control panel. Search for ‘device and printers’ and click on it. Next, Search for ‘PS4 Controller’ device and right-click on it and select ‘remove device’ ( If your controller is connected to PC )
- If your controller is not connected to the PC, open Settings and Bluetooth settings. Now press the ‘PS button’ and the ‘share’ button simultaneously on your controller to turn on Bluetooth pairing mode. Press these buttons for a couple of seconds and your controller with a flash light. Your PC will now be able to detect your controller.
- When your PC detects the controllers, click on ‘properties’ right-click with the mouse. A couple of options will show up. Select ‘drivers for keyboard, mice, etc.,’ then ‘ apply’ and then ‘ ok.’
You are now good to go!
If this solution does not work for you, try updating Bluetooth drivers or uninstall the ones provided by windows and installing official manufacturers’ ones from their website.
PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from PC USB
If your PS4 controller keeps disconnecting even when you use a wired DualShock 4 controller, then first off, you need to figure out what the cause of the issue is.
Here’s how to do it.
- Connect your controller to the console like you usually do and leave it on the desk for a bit. If it remains connected, then the issue may be due to a defective cable, USB port, or controller’s port. To check which of these is causing it, try connecting to a different USB port, or use a spare controller to check its functioning or use a new USB cable.
- You can also try connecting the controller to the CPU’s USB ports instead of using the pass-through ports of the monitor or keyboard.
- Ensure that if you are using a DS 4 Window program, it is an updated one. If you update, delete the older version.
- Another hack is to turn off the DS4 feature of the controller and use it as a regular controller.
- If your ps4 controller keeps unsyncing , make sure to connect it before the game is launched. Changing or connecting the controller mid-way through the game can also cause the issue.
For further read on our guide on how to fix PS4 lan cable not connected.
Are you one of those who experience ps4 controller disconnecting when they are on steam? Association between steam link and PS4 controller disconnecting have been reported.
Here’s how to fix it.
- Open steam settings and go to controller. Click on general controller settings.
- Now check which controller type you have. If it’s the PS4 controller, click on PlayStation configuration support.
- Next, click on controller shutdown time and choose ‘never’ by default. This usually is 15 mins.
If this message fails to work, go to Human interface devices> device manager>HD compliant game controller> disable.
What to do if nothing works
If all the solutions given above have failed and you are still facing connectivity issues, it is time to try other hacks. A couple of additional hacks are given below.
- Check if your controller is charged.
- Reinstall your windows
- Instead of using a USB adapter, try using a Sony wireless adapter.
- Plug in a different controller to check if it is working.
- If it occurs when your game on steam, try using other platforms to check if the issue is with steam only.
- If the controller flashes a red light, take it as a warning sign and turn it off using the PS button. Turn it on again after 5-10 minutes.
- Switch to USB 3.0 slot
- If you are using DS4 windows, go to settings, then ’ hide DS4 controller’. Now connect the controller before launching your PlayStation game.
- Why is my PS4 fan so loud
- How to fix PS4 turning on and off
- How to fix not enough free system memory on PS4
- How to fix PS4 controller red light
- How to fix orange light on PS4 controller
- How to connect ps4 to laptop
PS4 losing connection from pc is a common issue faced by gamers. By following these tips and tricks one by one, one can rule out the causes and land on the cause of the problem specific to their PC. Hopefully, after thoroughly reading the article and following the steps as stated, you’ll be able to solve this issue.