Listening to music is a common and most loved hobby for most of us, and choosing the right audio listening device is just as important as the song choice, certainly more important, as it affects the overall experience of listening to any music. If you want a wonderful audio experience, it is smart to invest some time and effort making a wise decision on the audio listening device.
Apparently similar devices such as IEMs and Earbuds, can have a major difference in influencing your audio experience. And this content aims to help you choose which of these products is most suitable based on your preferences. We’re going to briefly discuss the working and differences of IEMs and earbuds, and you will find features comparison which will further help you to make the right decision.
What is an IEM?
In-Ear Monitor (IEM) are specially designed earphones which are placed inside your ear in such a position that they completely blocks your ear canal from external distortion. This type of earphones does not allow any sound from the outside to enter your ear canal by creating a seal in the ears.
As you can imagine, such earphones do offer a depth of musical experience. The sound quality of this type of earphones is magnificent and this probably will be suitable for most audiophiles.
- They offer focused sound experience by cancelling out all the background sounds.
- Their sound quality is better than other types of earphones and more detailed.
- Their sound control system prevents loud sounds to be heard.
- IEMs are cost-efficient and commonly found on any store.
- The ear piece rest on the opening of your ear canal and earphones are stable during running, or other movements.
- If you bypass the sound control system, your ears can be damaged due to the loud noises.
- Although they have strong grip with your ear, they are small and hard to find once slightly misplaced.
- Ear size varies among people and it can be difficult to find your suitable sized earphone.
- They are not comfortably worn and causes pain in the ear after long sessions of audio listening.
- Easy KZ ZST in-Ear Earphone
- Shure SE215-CL In-Ear
- KZ ZSN Pro in Ear Earbuds
- SIMGOT MT3 in-Ear Monitor
- RHA T20 Hifi IEMs
- KZ ZSN HiFi IEM
What is an Earbuds?
Earbuds are apparently similar to earbuds, but they sit on the outside of your ear. Earbuds are comfortable to wear but have really lose grip on your ears, which make them unsuitable for jogging or running. However, there are ‘wings’ available for earbuds which give them a suitable grip on your ears. You can use them for running and other purposes, once they are equipped with the additional grip wings. These are certainly better as they allow a little distortion from the outside which must be there for jogging outside otherwise its unsafe to use them.
Earbuds are suitable if you listen to music outside while on your way to different places because they allow awareness of environment which is necessary for short-distance travelling too.
- Earbuds are bound with the outer part of your ear and thus, they are more comfortable to wear for long audio listening sessions.
- Earbuds are also very cost-efficient and mostly you can find them for free in the box of new mobile phones or any other modern devices.
- Earbuds are durable devices which are very easy to carry with yourself.
- Unlike most devices, earbuds have no designated size and people with different type of ear lobes can easily wear them without questioning the comfort.
- They have an additional hanging wing which can be removed or fixed according to your needs. This makes earbuds multi-purpose devices and you can use them for sports activities.
- The biggest drawback of earbuds is the sound quality which is compromised due to their shape and working.
- Although you can play them on their full volume but their full volume might not be suitable for some people.
- They do not offer highly focused sound on the ear drum.
- Listening to music in a crowded environment can be useless as these are not designed to be loud enough.
- Earbuds allow irritating sounds from the background to be heard.
- Willful Wireless Earbuds
- TOZO T6 Wireless Earbuds
- TOZO T10 Wireless Earbuds
- TOZO T12 Wireless Earbuds
- Samsung Galaxy Earbuds
- Samsung Galaxy Earbuds Pro
IEMs vs Earbuds
Comparing the two devices, there is a major difference in their positioning in the ear. IEM is placed at the opening of ear canal while earbuds hang on the outside of the ears. Both these devices have different depth of music as IEMs are better at sound experience.
Below are all the features compared.
If you want to dive in a wave of spatial sounds and depth of audio experience, IEMs are suitable option for you as you are completely isolated from external noise. This offers a focused sound on the ear drum which ensures a wonderful audio experience.
Earbuds cannot produce a much better quality of sound because they don’t have the advantage of sound focus on the eardrum. You will face distortion from the outside environment with earbuds. However audio quality of IEMs is unmatchable.
IEMs are more comfortable when you find the perfect size according to your ears can be difficult. You can wear these for hours without any trouble. Although, earbuds are more comfortable as they rest on the outer ear but that is the case without the hanging wings. The wings hurt you ear when you wear them for long,
Noise isolation which is offered by IEMs is not suitable for all users especially who go out while listening to music. They need to be aware of their surroundings to be alert in case of any danger approaching. Noise isolation makes people unaware of the incoming hurdle and can cause severe problems. Use the feature in a safe environment. While it is better to use earbuds for mobile usage.
There are several drivers in each of the IEMs we can also say that each driver has its specific work in IEMs such as the Dynamic driver controls the bass in the audio and for the control of mids and highs, it has armature driver. That’s why we don’t like to use the driver composition as the main factor because it can’t represent what earbuds or IEMs constitute.
Whenever the equipment of the sound near the ear it will easily damage your hearing but this won’t happen if the volume is at its normal. IEMs work by sealing the ear so when your volume is moderate you can hear a detailed voice. Earbuds allow you to raise volume to a certain level but it is not enough sometimes, especially if you are in a crowded place.
IEMs and earbuds are both suitable for sports. Both have fine grip on the ears and good sound quality. But if you are a part of coordination sports, you shouldn’t be using any of these or earbuds at low volume.
But simple IEMs and earbuds are also quite stylish. But if you want to enhance the style, you should find CIEMs which are customizable IEMs. If you have a design in mind, you can implement it easily or search from a library of CIEM designs.
IEMs are more professionally used as their voice quality is better which is crucial in the music industry. You can find better versions of IEM with ultra-high definition of music quality. Such earphones are called CIEMs.
CIEMs are common among audiophiles which try out different and unique styles of IEMs. Also the sound quality of a CIEM can be highly improved compared to simple IEM as they are special versions.
There are also variety of models for earbuds but their standard shape is not replaced. You cannot step up the voice quality also.
We have discussed IEMs and earbuds separately and also had a quick overview of the usage advantages or disadvantages. You must have collected enough information to make a suitable decision for yourself. And we must acknowledge that both these devices are not very expensive and most audiophiles keep a pair of both of these royalties.
I hope you would’ve made the best choice and that you liked this content. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, kindly let us know in the comments below.