The gaming trend has spread like wildfire in the last decade and Sony has captured the hearts of this fast inclining industry by introducing Play Station 4 in 2013. Sony PS4 offered an exceptional gaming experience which was only possible in an expensive high-end computer earlier. PS4 provides a good value of money which has made an amazing gaming experience accessible to millions.
Although PS4 had numerous features for a wonderful gaming experience and every gamer agrees to the importance of sound for a submerged gaming session, console manufacturers had never made any effort to acknowledge this fact before PS4 was launched. This raised the question.
Can you use headphones on PS4?
Sony PS4 came with a controller which had a 3.5mm headphone jack along with a one-ear headphone. This was the first time headphones were functional on a console and it was a necessary step for gamers. But one-ear headphones were not enough. Sony knew it so they allowed third-party headphones to be used with PS4. Take that Xbox.
But not all types of headphones are working for Sony PS4. But you can easily check the headphone’s compatibility with PS4.
What are PS4 Compatible Headphones?
All types of headphones or audio output devices work well with PS4 as long as they follow CTIA standards. Apple products follow standards that are based on CTIA but have a non-standard microphone and use a control signaling method which is why microphones in Apple products don’t work with PS4.
You can check whether your headphones follow CTIA standards and are compatible with PS4 by searching about their model online or testing them on PS4. Make sure to check if their microphone works with PS4 which will be the case if the headphone jack is arranged as
Audio (Left) > Audio (Right) > Ground > Microphone (tip to sleeve)
If you are exploring buying new headphones, these are some wonderful suggestions that provide the best audio experience and are fully compatible with PS4.
- SteelSeries Arctis Pro Gaming Headset
- Razer Kraken Tournament Edition 7.1
- SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset
- Turtle Beach Recon 70
- Razer Nari Ultimate Wireless 7.1
- Turtle Beach Stealth Gaming Headset
- Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2
- Beyerdynamic Gaming Headset
- EPOS GSP 670 Wireless Gaming Headset
- ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless Headset
- HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless Headset
- Logitech G933 Wireless Gaming Headset
- VersionTECH. G2000 Gaming Headset
- HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Gaming Headset
- HyperX Cloud Stinger Gaming Headset
- NUBWO N12 Gaming Headset
- Audio Technica ATH M20X Headset
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Headphones
How to use headphones with PS4?
One of the common issues with PS4 audio is that controller sounds are heard along with the game audio which suppresses game sounds. But PlayStation 4 lets you adjust its volume and you can set it to zero as follows.
- Long press the PS4 button
- Go to Sound/Devices
- Go to Volume Control
- Set the Controller volume to zero
How to connect headphones to PS4?
Once you have gotten your hands on the headphones of your choice, you need to set them up on your PS4 as you desire. For this, read our guide on how you can set up your new headphones with desired settings, and also set the default mic of the PS4.
As there are wired and wireless headphones, we will cover the setting of both types of headphones.
Although it is older technology still most gamers prefer wired headphones. Some gamers prefer them because they don’t need to be recharged while others argue that their performance is also better compared to wireless headphones. But this is not true if you are using good quality headphones.
Still charging is a big issue. And if you have wired headphones, you can set them up easily by following these simple steps.
- Make sure you have plugged in the headphones either on the controller or on the monitor.
- Hold on to pressing the PS4 button on your controller.
- Navigate to settings.
- Go to Devices.
- Go to Audio Devices
- Here you can shift your Audio output device manually. Change it to the newly detected headphones which will shift your chat Audio to your headphones.
- Now click Output to headphones and change ‘Chat Audio’ to ‘All Audio’.
- Check the Switch Output device automatically This will change the audio device automatically to your headphones every time you plug them in.
- In the Input Devices section, you can easily set your headphones mic as the default audio input device.
If you have wireless headphones, you should note that PS4 does not allow you to directly connect headphones with Bluetooth but only allows the controller, so you will have to buy a Bluetooth dongle which is a small male USB port with a Bluetooth connection.
But why do people go through the struggle to buy headphones and a Bluetooth dongle? Well firstly, the dongle is cheap so it’s not very difficult to buy and some people just really don’t like wires. If you have a big-screen TV, you want to sit far away and need long wires which are difficult to find, and store. Storage is an issue and wires get damaged easily when spread out or stuck in the drawer. And good quality headphones never lag in impressive distances.
To use wireless headphones on PS4 you first connect your headphones with a Bluetooth dongle after plugging it in the PS4, so that they are detected. Next, you will have to follow the above-mentioned steps to set up the audio output device once your headphones are detected.
- Best PS4 gaming chair
- Can you hack a PS4
- How to use discord on PS4
- How to Jailbreak PS4
- How to join PlayStation party chat on PC
- Can you use PS3 controller on PS4
- Can you still play ps2 online
Now that you are aware of the information required to choose, connect, and set up headphones with your PS4, you can have an uninterrupted gaming experience with the best audio quality without having to invest in a high-end computer.
I hope you like this content, and if you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comments below.