Things you need to transfer data from PS4 to PS5
You will be glad to know that you don’t need anything special for the data transfer because the new PlayStation 5 console has Backward Compatibility which allows it to directly transfer data with other PlayStation models. But there are a few points that you need to check before transferring data from your PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5.
- Both the systems must be updated. It is necessary as older software versions are known to fail amid data transfer.
- Both consoles should have the same account logged in on them.
- Connect both of the consoles with the same network.
There are a number of methods to perform this data transfer and we will guide you on all the methods so you can use whichever is suitable for your situation.
How to transfer data from PS4 to PS5?
Now that you have checked the requirements, you have various methods to transfer data among the two consoles. You should go through all of these methods once so you know which is the most reliable if you need to do this in the future.
Here are the methods to transfer data from PS4 to PS5:
1. Transfer data over WIFI
Although this is an easy method and does not require any additional device, if you are transferring hundreds of GigaBytes of data, it can take a while to transfer. Still, this is the easiest method. You need to follow the steps below to proceed with data transfer:
- Turn on Both the consoles and connect them to the same network.
- Go to Settings and there you go to
- Now go to System Software.
- Open Data Transfer and Click the Continue on the next screen.
- Here you might need to press the Power Button on your PS4 console to confirm the transfer.
The speed of transfer depends upon on the distance between the consoles, so keep them close to each other. Another very effective method to get faster transfer is the one below.
2. Faster Transfer with Ethernet Cable
If you have to transfer large games and data, the recommended option is to use an Ethernet cable for the data transfer as it is significantly faster than Wi-Fi data transfer.
You just need to connect both the consoles on the same network and then connect them with an Ethernet cable. Then follow the above-given points.
3. Games on Disks
If you had any games on disk and you want to play those games on the new PS5 console, you should know that almost all the PS4 games on disks should run very well on PS5 too. You don’t need to buy the same disks for the new console.
Also Read: How to fix the PS5 green screens of death
4. Cloud Storage
If you are unable to use any of the above methods, and you have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now subscription, you can also use the cloud storage given to you with the subscription, to transfer data among the two consoles.
You can upload the files to be shared, on the cloud by following these simple steps:
- Go to Settings on your PS4, and open Application Data Management.
- Search for Saved Data and then click Upload to Online Storage.
- Now you have to choose the files to be uploaded.
You can simply download these files on your PS5 console by following the simple steps given below:
- Go to Settings and Select Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Choose Saved Data from PS4 and then Cloud Storage.
- Here you select the data you want and choose the option to Download to Console Storage.
- This will save the files directly to your console’s storage.
5. Auto Sync your Trophies
If you want your trophies to appear on your new console, you just need to sync them with the account and they will automatically appear on the PlayStation 5. In order to sync trophies from your PS4, you need to follow these steps:
- Click Trophies and Select Options.
- Here you can Turn On syncing your trophies everywhere on the PlayStation Network.
6. USB or External Storage
Using an external storage device for storing old games and data is the most recommended way to store your old data. Firstly, you don’t need any type of subscription for this type of data transfer. Secondly, you don’t even need to waste your PS5’s SSD storage to store old data and games.
You should enjoy the new games available on your new PS5 and use the external device to access the old data whenever necessary.
This will save you a lot of space. You should still save important data on your console’s storage or the cloud as the external storage devices can easily be corrupted or lost.
Can I play games while data is being transferred?
Yes, if you are transferring data, you can still use your console for gaming or watching movies as the process can easily go on in the background.
What is the fastest way to transfer data?
Using an Ethernet cable is the fastest way you can transfer data across the two consoles. This is a fact that a wired connection is much more reliable than a Wireless Wi-Fi transfer.
What is the best way to shift data and Why?
The best way to get the PS4 data on your PlayStation 5 console is to copy the data to an external storage device. Then you just plug in the device in your PS5 and make use of the data. It is the best way because it does not require any subscription and also you can save space on your PS5’s SSD by keeping the data on the External storage.
- How to Connect AirPods to PS4/PS5
- Ps5 rest mode issue
- Fastest DNS servers for ps5
- How to increase download speed on ps4
- How often can you change primary ps4
- Compare all ps4 models
You have learned all the information required to successfully transfer important data among PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The new PS5 console supports Backwards Compatibility which is a feature that allows the newer versions to directly accept data from older models.
If you have any questions regarding this topic, check if any of them are already answered in the FAQ section. You can ask questions or share your reviews in the comments below.