Why is my PS4 download speed slow?
After exploring various sites and articles concerning ‘why is my ps4 downloading so slow,’ I concluded that the leading cause may be one out of the four listed below.
Once we can identify the cause, action can increase ps4 download speed.
Here are the causes for why is your PS4 download speed slow:
- Old, rusty router
- Ps4 not updated
- Issues with server
- Background applications are running
How to make downloads faster on PS4?
There’s a wide variety of ways to increase ps4 download speed when one is playing games.
Here are the methods to increase PS4 download speed:
1. Update your Firmware
To make sure that your ps4 is working at total capacity and functioning smoothly, one must make sure that they keep the firmware updated. This will increase ps4 download speed, improve the overall performance of the ps4 along with giving you fresh content to work with.
Here’s how to do it:
- In the PlayStation home menu, go to settings.
- Click on system software update
- Check if there is an update available. If yes, the update will start automatically on its own.
2. Use a wired connection
Wired connections can provide faster downloads. In contrast, WIFI connections take a longer time to download. Ethernet cables can be used for wired connections.
One of the best things a direct-wired connection does is that you don’t have issues that stem from a wider distance between your modem and ps4 device. You can also change the number of devices connected to your WIFI.
Here’s how you can do it.
- Plugin your ethernet cables into one of the LAN ports in your modem.
- On the back of your PS4, insert the other end of your ethernet cable into the LAN port.
- In the main menu of your PlayStation 4, select settings.
- Now click on network.
- Next, click on set up internet connection.
- Now click on use a LAN cable.
- Click on easy.
- Your Play Station 4 will now easily detect the network from an ethernet cord, and you will easily be able to connect to the internet.
An alternative is to improve the quality of your Wi-Fi connection. That can be done by:
- You are disconnecting devices such as smartphones that you are not using from the internet.
- Now move your PlayStation 4 to a closer place to the modem.
- Make sure to reset the connection of your modem. Most of the modems have a reset button, and you need to press it for 30 seconds to reset the modem.
By disconnecting devices from your modem, you can only send signals to devices that are being used so more vital signs are imparted instead of weaker divided ones.
If this hack does not seem to work for you, you can check out an update.
Also Read: Why Is My PS4 Lan Cable Not Connected
3. Rest mode can be used to increase speed
A tried and tested hack puts your PS4 in rest mode while your Play Station 4 content downloads to increase download speed. Using this method, there was a slight increase in download speed but nothing too much. Either way, putting it on rest mode while downloading is the intelligent thing to do.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to settings and click on the main menu
- Click on power-saving settings
- Click on the option ‘set features available in rest mode.’
- Click on ‘stay connected to the internet.’
- To ensure the content you want to download is downloading, go to the home screen and click on notifications.
- It would help if you had your download at the top and a loading bar under it.
- Once you see that your stuff is downloading, you may now click on the home button on your controller.
- Click on rest mode and continue doing your things as usual.
4. Modem bandwidth data
When networking, bandwidth is the max amount of data that you can transfer from one device to another. Bandwidth data is measured in Mbps.
Note: Mbps stands for megabytes per second, and it measures how fast the data can be transferred.
To check whether or not this worked:
- Go to your computer to test the internet speed.
- Go to speedtest.net and take the computer speed test to test speed.
While the expected internet speed never really comes forward, too low speeds may be an issue. This could be hinting at an equipment issue. It is then recommended that one upgrades their modem speeds to the best.
5. Pausing and resuming download
Most of us know how rebooting the PlayStation 4 can help fix most problems with our play station including speed issues. Pausing and resuming downloading is an alternative to that. It is a much more convenient and faster alternative.
If you download many games or updates at once, that might slow the speeds. To download at the best rate, one must download each file individually.
Here’s how you can do it:
- On the PS4 dashboard, go to the downloads tab.
- Click on the game you are currently downloading and press the X button.
- Open the drop-down menu, and click on pause.
- Now click on resume, and your download speed will improve.
6. Change up DNS and MTU Settings
While the previous fixes mainly were temporary, this is a permanent fix. The DTS and MTU will already be set there when you connect your PS4 to the internet on accessible mode.
But if you’re wondering how to make downloads faster on PS4 using this method, here’s what you can do.
- On your PS4 dashboard, go to settings (represented by briefcase icon)
- From settings, go to network and click on set up internet connection.
- Now your next steps depend on the kind of connection you want to set up.
- If you want to choose cable, you can select LAN cables. Or you can select use WIFI.
- Be sure to create a custom network mode.
- Select IP address settings, and click automatically.
- Under the heading of DHCP, click on ‘do not specify‘.
- Under the heading of DNS settings, click ‘manual.’
- You will be asked to select primary and secondary DNS numbers. You may use google DNS or open DNS. Both of these work fine. Pick either of these, type them down and click next.
- Under the MTU settings, click manual.
- In the proxy server, you may select ‘do not use‘. You can now measure your internet connection by clicking on a test internet connection.
Note: For the fastest download speed, you suggest that you create a LAN cable connection.
Also Read: Fastest DNS servers for ps4
7. Use a proxy application
If you’re wondering how to increase download speed on ps4, you may also use a proxy to improve the download speed. By sending the data through a proxy, we can have the ps4 console take in the data a lot quicker.
For this hack, a PC is also required. You need to connect both your PC and PS4 to the internet network.
Here’s how to do it:
- First, go and download ‘ccproxy‘ on your PC. For Mac users, you can download ‘squid man‘ instead.
- Now open your proxy software and click on ‘start‘ to create your proxy server.
- Go over to options and copy the IP and port
- Click on ‘set up a new internet connection‘ in the settings.
- Use the internet using LAN connection for best results.
- Use a custom setup.
- Under IP address settings, click on ‘automatic‘.
- Under DHCP, click on ‘do not specify.’
- In the DNS settings, click automatic.
- In the MTU settings, click automatic.
- In proxy settings, click on use. Put in the IP address and port number, and you’re good to go.
8. Change the internet connection
If the above hacks have not been helpful for you and you’re still wondering how to make PS4 download faster, the problem might be with the internet connection.
Your internet connection might be old and your standard broadband too weak to withhold the load of your PS4 downloads.
The slow speed of standard broadbands cannot bear the load of sp4e downloads.
Also Read: How to lower ping on PS4
9. Place PS4 close to the router
Proximity plays an essential role in the strength of your internet connection. If you place your modem in a separate room from the room where you have your PS4, you might experience slow speeds.
The best thing to do is place your PS4 in the same room as your modem.
- How many primary ps4s can you have
- How to fix PayPal not working on PSN
- How to add funds to ps4 child account
- How to get free PS plus trial
Hopefully, you can identify the problem you are facing from the issues we have listed above. Using these hacks and valuable tips and tricks, you will be able to increase ps4 download speed in no time.