Why does my PS5 won’t read, take or eject the disc?
If your PS5 cannot read disc, please remember that it might occur for a number of reasons like disc incompatibility, improper disc insertion, and dusty drive. In addition, a malfunctioning console or an older software version worsens the situation too.
Here are the causes why your PS5 won’t accept the disc:
- Incompatible disc
Firstly, you must know that PS consoles only support original discs/CDs/DVDs. Also, your PS5 can support the discs compatible with PS5, but it will not entertain the PS3 ones.
- Improper disc insertion
You cannot insert a disc in your PS5 the way you want to. However, there is an accurate method of disc insertion; otherwise, your ps5 won’t read the disc.
- Using a damaged disc
Many gamers might not take notice of minor damages on the disc, which leads to PS5 not reading the disc issue.
- PS5’s older software version
Sometimes, using outdated software on your PS5 is responsible for many issues, let alone the disc’s inability to read.
- Malfunctioning system
At times, your PS5’s system may be down for a while, which results in various issues.
How to fix PS5 not reading disc issue?
As mentioned earlier, PS5 is the latest console produced by Sony. Unfortunately, though, it came out during the peak period of the COVID-19 pandemic, yet the console sales sky-rocketed! No wonder Sony never disappoints its PS users, which remains valid in the case of PS5 as well. However, some minor glitches can appear anytime.
One such issue is that ‘PS5 won’t read disc.’ The problem does not occur with every PS5 user, but a few may encounter it, and if you are one of them, you must know that it is easy to resolve!
Here are the quick fixes which will help you to overcome the problem;
1. Always keep the discs clean
You must be extra careful when it comes to discs that you want to insert into your PS5. Your PS5 won’t entertain the dirty and damaged discs. So please keep all the used discs clean after every use.
To clean any disc, you can take a microfiber cloth and start wiping off the disc’s surface from midpoint to outward. Besides, please ensure that you move the fabric to and fro radially. Some people may tell you to clean the disc using a liquid. However, we will strictly suggest not to use any such thing.
2. Get an updated software on your ps5
An outdated software version on your PS5 results in many unannounced problems. If your PS5 is unable to read or eject the disc, you must think about whether your PS5 has a compatible software version or not. To get the latest software on your PS5, please follow the steps given below appropriately;
- Firstly, on your PS5’s home screen, you will need to navigate to the ‘Settings.’
- Next, go for ‘System’ and then ‘System Software Update and Settings.‘
- Next in line, you will see ‘Update System Software.’
- Lastly, you will need to choose ‘Update Using Internet.’ Please give your console some time to update to the latest software to run your favorite games smoothly. Additionally, its inability to read the disc will also be resolved!
3. Try inserting the disc correctly
It isn’t clear which way to insert the PS5 disc. However, regular console users are sure about the proper way of disc insertion owing to their experience. Therefore, the method of disc insertion holds a substantial value since the improper way leads to the inability to read the disc by your PS5.
4. Try cleaning up the ps5 disc drive
We discussed cleaning the discs you want to insert into your PS5. First, however, you must make sure that the disc drive of your PS5 is clean and undamaged as well. Then, you can open the disc drive of your console by taking out the screws. To clean the disc drive, you can use compressed air or a blower.
5. Ensure the compatibility of the disc
The compatibility of the disc with your PS5 is highly significant. If you try to insert a disc from PS3 or older versions, let us inform you that your PS5 will not recognize it. Besides, you can insert a disc compatible with PS4 in your PS5 since it will read it. Therefore, you must be aware of the compatibility of the discs with your console.
6. Try restarting your PS5
Many problems related to your PS5 may resolve only by restarting the console. To continue the console, please follow the steps given below correctly;
- First of all, you will need to press and hold the ‘power button‘ on the bottom of your PS5. Please ensure that you keep holding the button for a while to turn off the console altogether.
- Once your PS5 has restarted, you can check if the console is reading the disc now or not.
- However, you can also restart your PS5 in ‘safe mode.’ To do so, please continue to follow the steps further.
- Please press and hold the ‘power button‘ for a few seconds so that your console turns off.
- Ensure that you do not release the button before you notice two beeps.
- Next, you will need to pair your PS5 with a wireless controller.
- Last but not least, you will need to click on the ‘PS‘ key and select ‘restart PS5.’
7. Try opting for resetting your PS5
Putting the reset option at the bottom of the list would be best since performing a reset on your PS5 will erase all the data. However, if you have already backed up the data, you may reset the PS5 without worrying much. To reset the PS5, please follow the steps given below;
- Firstly, please navigate the ‘settings‘ and then ‘system.’
- Next, you will need to choose ‘system software.’ Then, you will see the ‘reset options.’ Please select it.
- Lastly, opt for ‘reset your console’ and then ‘reset.’ Please be patient while your PS5 directs you to the setup process.
8. Try repositioning the console
It seems unreasonable if repositioning the console will help resolve the PS5’s inability to read disc issue. However, you can always try anything to get rid of a glitch! Therefore, you can try to change the position of your PS5 to see if it reads the discs now or not.
9. Try contacting the PS5 customer support
If all of the fixes mentioned above fail to resolve your PS5 problem, which cannot read discs, we suggest you try contacting PS customer support.
Undeniably, it would not be delightful to experience if you cannot download and install your favorite game on PS5 just because the ps5 not reading disc. Well, since the problem has started to surface a bit more frequently lately, there are multiple fixes available.
In this article, we have tried our best to explain why your PS5 cannot read CDs/DVDs, etc., and what you can do to avoid the issue. Hopefully, it will prove helpful!