Why is my PS5 flashing blue light?
If your PS5 is not turning on then you’ll notice the blue light blinking on the console. Usually, the light would only blink either white or blue but never transition to a solid white color. There are several reasons for the PS5 blinking blue light.
Below are the causes of PS5 pulsing blue light:
- Failed a proper turn-off: This is a common mistake that gamers make. It could either happen if you’re in a hurry or you’ve let your laziness get the bed of you. If you pull the power cable directly from the main socket instead of properly shutting your console, you might face the PS5 pulsing blue light.
- Check your software version: Another common mistake resulting in the PS5 blue light of death is using an older software version.
- Corrupt hard drive: If the above-mentioned options check out, it wouldn’t hurt to check out your console’s data. Most of the time, it’s either that or the hard drive which is corrupt. Note that corrupted files on your PS5 are one of the major causes of PS5 blue light of death.
- Resolution: You might have a misconfigured video output resolution.
- HDMI malfunction: There could be two problems here; either the PS5 power cable or the HDMI cable is malfunctioning.
How to fix PS5 Blue Light of Death?
Now that you know the potential cause, you can easily manage to fix your PS5 blue light error. It’s not as difficult as it may seem.
Here are the methods to fix PS5 blue light of death issue:
Fix 1: Power cycle your console
Power cycle can help confirm you don’t have a faulty or loose connection leading to PS5 blinking blue light. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press the PlayStation 5 power button on your console and hold it for about a few seconds. Release it when you hear two beeps.
- Now you can safely unplug all of the cables connected to your console.
- Return to your power button, this time holding it for about seven to ten seconds. This will now discharge the internal power.
- After about a minute, you can reconnect all of the PS5 cables.
- Turn the console back on, if the problem is fixed then great. If not, look at more solutions for your PS5 blue light of death mentioned below.
Fix 2: Put your console in safe mode
To put your PS5 in safe mode, here’s what you do:
- Power off the PS5 completely.
- Hold the power button for about fifteen seconds until the console is powered off.
- Press the button again until you hear a beep. In about seven seconds, you’ll hear a second beep.
- You have entered the safe mode. Now, you can plug in the controller and press the PlayStation button on it.
Fix 3: Try a software update
As mentioned above, your PS5 pulsing blue light could indicate the need for a software update. Here’s what you do:
- Go to the boot menu and select the option named “update system software.”
- Now, PS5 will begin looking for any updates that you may have missed. You will be shown all the pending updates available; make sure you install them.
- Wait until the console update is complete.
- Continue with rebooting the console to ensure the PS5 blinking light of death is fixed.
Fix 4: Try restarting your playstation5 console
If the problem persists, you can try restarting your console. Here’s how you do it:
- Following the steps mentioned above, boot your console in the Safe Mode.
- On the screen, you’ll find the option named “restart console.” Select it using your controller.
- You’ll have to wait for the process to complete. Once it is, you’ll know if this method helped PS5 blinking blue light.
Fix 5: Try replacing the monitor
Still didn’t work? Don’t worry, there’s still a lot more than you can try. Often, it could be that your monitor is the one causing problems. Perhaps it’s not compatible with your console or is showing an error. Try replacing your monitor to verify the solution.
Fix 6: Change the port for HDMI cable
Perhaps there’s an error with the port for your HDMI cable resulting in PS5 flashing blue light. What you can do in this case is change the port for the HDMI cable and see if the problem persists. If it does, move on with the other solutions.
Fix 7: Try changing the HDMI cable
It’s a no-brainer! One of the easiest solutions out there is changing the cable and ensuring it works. Most of the time, a faulty cable can result in PS5 pulsing blue light. You can first test out the cables with another device and then clean it properly before you change the HDMI cable.
Fix 8: Change the video output resolution
Your HDCP mode may be the cause of your PS5 blinking blue light. Here’s how you can change it:
- First, put your PS5 in safe mode.
- In the menu, you’ll find the option named “Change Resolution.” Select it.
- Through your controller, select the option named “Video output resolution.”
- Now, you’ll find an option named “Change HDCP.” In that, select the one titled “HDCP 1.4 only.”
- Once it’s done, you can reboot your PS5 and verify if the solution worked.
Fix 9: Rebuild your PlayStation 5 database
Hard drive issues are fairly common when it comes to PS5 blue light of death. You can fix this by troubleshooting the console. Your PlayStation has an option named “Rebuild Database” which helps to clean out your hard drive. For this you will have to:
- Boot the console in Safe Mode.
- You will find a menu with several options. Amongst them, select the one titled “Rebuild database.”
- Wait for your console to complete the process and then reboot your console.
Fix 10: Finally, resetting.
Reinstalling your PS5 software helps with your PS5 pulsing blue light. Here’s how you can reset your console:
- Boot the PS5 in safe mode.
- Select the option named “Reset PS5” using your controller.
- Wait until the console reinstalls your software.
Finally, when all else fails, contact Sony and get an insight on what could be causing your PS5 flashing blue light. Chances are, one of these solutions will help you fix the problem yourself so make sure you try out everything!