Does it happen to everyone?
PS4 shows different types of light to indicate different types of errors like red light issue, orange light issue. If you see a regular PS4 white light, there is nothing to worry about. It just shows that the power is on.
If you occasionally see a blinking white light when you turn the console off, that represents the console is shutting down, which is not dangerous. Before jumping to any conclusion, look for the time and duration of the PS4 white light.
The concerning moment is when the blinking white light persists after the console is fully turned on and then transits into blue light. That indicates a problem in the system that requires troubleshooting and fixing it.
PS4 white light meaning is to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of the problem then resolve it. The light could flash for a number of issues with any stage of intensity. For instance, the PS4 flashing white light could indicate dust stuck inside the console, problems in the motherboard, or even an electrical failure.
To be more precise, the white light most often indicates HDMI issues and poor or lack of connection. The intensity could be a simple poor port connection, no connection with the TV, or an IC chip blown out in your HDMI port. The indication does not define how severe the problem is, so it is advised to troubleshoot the moment you see PS4 blinking white light.
Although the issue could be damaging, there are a few things you can do by yourself before calling for a professional technical expert.
Also Read: Why is my PS4 not connecting to WIFI
How to fix PS4 white light of death?
As mentioned earlier, many issues that cause the PS4 flashing white light can be resolved without any professional help. If you do not want to waste time and solve the problem quickly, have the control in your hand while we are here to guide you.
Here are the methods to fix PS4 white light of death:
1. Reboot the console
The foremost approach is the quickest fix. Do the following steps:
- Press the PS button and Share button simultaneously.
- The PS4 will switch on within a few seconds. See if the white light is still flashing.
- Doing this quick fix will solve the smaller issues. Try this as the first option while fixing the white light flashing problem.
2. Double check the connections
As we have mentioned above, the main reason for this indication is the HDMI connection issue or lost TV connections. Check if the HDMI cable is properly connected to the TV and the console. A loose HDMI cable will affect the connection of the console with the TV and the light will start blinking as an indication of a poor connection.
To fix this, remove the cable and see if there is any fault or damage in the cable. If the issue is in the wire, change that. Otherwise, plug it in both ports again carefully and see if the issue resolves.
For connection on the TV, try changing the device if you have an alternate to verify that the problem is not in the device.
Also Read: How to fix PS4 lan cable not connected
3. Look for hardware issues
After the HDMI has been thoroughly checked for any damages and concerns, the next step is to look for hardware damage.
- See if there are any problems with the console exterior body. Any sign of damage, dent or anything should be checked.
- Open the top tray with the help of a T-13 screwdriver, and have a look at the interior of the console. Verify everything looks proper and there is no damage, dust or anything stuck in its interior.
- Please have a look that all the hardware components are properly placed in their respective slots, such as the hard drive. You will again require a T-13 screwdriver for this purpose.
Also Read: How to Fix PS4 overheating problem
4. Reset the console
After you have made it clear that any hardware, internal or external is not harmed and the console and the TV are in their best states, the next step would be restarting the console. For that:
- Do not turn off the switch or remove the power plug, hold the power button on the console and shut it down.
- Let the console rest for 30 minutes and remove all the wires and extensions attached to it.
- After the console has cooled down, reattach the plugs and switch it on to check if the problem is resolved.
5. Reinstall controller drivers
Controller drivers could also be a reason behind the white light flashing on the console. Verify that your drivers are up to date and there is no new update available for them. If there is you will have to download that to make your drivers work properly. Once the drivers are downloaded, the console will start working normally.
- Open the run box by pressing Win + R. In the box, type msc and press Enter.
- Uninstall the device by right clicking on it and select uninstall.
- Reconnect the device with the console. Download the drivers again from the manufacturer’s website and the new updated drivers will be downloaded.
6. Reset the controller
If the drivers are not the problem, try resetting the controller. You can do this with the following steps:
- Turn the PS4 Off.
- With the help of a hairpin or soft nib, press the small button present at the back of the controller. Hold the button for at least 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, release the button, and reconnect the USB cable.
- Switch on the gaming console again.
Resetting the controller will potentially resolve the issue in many cases.
7. Enter safe mode
Entering the safe mode of PS4 will disconnect any internal or external disturbance to the system. If nothing else works, this will definitely save your console from further damage. Even if you plan to call for external help, turning the safe mode on will be the best option to do until it is fixed.
- Why is my ps4 not taking disc
- How much does it cost to repair a ps4
- Why is my PS4 sound not working
- What Causes PS4 Controller Drift
- How to reduce ping on PS4
- How to fix PlayStation 4 beeping
In this article, we have listed every possible method to fix the white light flashing on your PS4 console. If any of these does not work, you will have to seek external help. The white light will start blinking over the smallest issue and in case of a damaging disaster as well.
To avoid losing your console, it is advised to take it seriously the moment you notice it. But instead of panicking, start with the simplest solution and then move to the technical solutions before you invest more money in it by taking professional help.