How to fix PS4 turns on by itself?
As we’ve discussed, the software can be the primary issue here; sometimes, checking and downloading the latest updates can help solve the issue. Reassembling your database may work, too but do keep in mind that this may be time-consuming if your data collection is large.
How to fix PS4 turning on and off problem?
We’ve briefly touched on the cause of PS4 turning on and off, including software issue, hardware malfunctions and broken connection or ports. Another prevalent cause is faulty motherboard chips or solder joints. The only way to figure out which of these causes affects your PS4 is to rule them out one by one.
Below are some very useful hacks to resolve this issue.
- Look into power connection issues
- Connect to Ethernet cable
- Look into hardware issues
- Enable system update in safe mode
- Disable auto updates
- Avoid APU problem
- Check other connected devices
- Rebuild your database
- Reset your PS4
Here are the methods to fix PS4 turning on and off problem:
1. Look into power connection issues
Here’s how to do it
- Turn off your PS4 console by holding down the power button for 7 seconds. It will give off two beeps to indicate that it is off.
- Unplug the power cable of your PS4 console from the electrical outlet.
- Now check the power cords or ports to see where the problem lies. Spare ones can also be used to check.
NOTE: avoid connecting too many devices to the power outlet while the PS4 is connected.
Also Read: Why is my ps4 not turning on
2. Connect to Ethernet cable
Sometimes, Wi-Fi does not provide a reliable internet connection, and fluctuations in the network connection are seen. Any short circuitry in the network or external disturbance can disturb Wi-Fi connection quite often. In such situations, using an Ethernet cable is the best option.
There is an Ethernet cable power at the back of your console. You can also use a LAN connection to connect the router to your PS4. If this connection is successful, avoid using a Wi-Fi connection completely.
3. Look into hardware issues
- First, turn your PS4 off by holding down the power button for 7 seconds. It will give two beeps.
- Now, disconnect the power cable from the electrical outlet. Also, remove any cables connected.
- Next, take off the hard disk drive cover ( shiny )
- Check that the hard disk drive is properly fixed to the system. If you wish to change it with a new one, screw it open and replace it with a new one.
4. Enable system update in safe mode
Sometimes an incomplete update can be the cause of your issue. Reinstalling the update in safe mode can help you counter it.
Here how to do it.
- Use a USB device with at least 400 MB of free space. Make a folder in it called PS4. Make a subfolder within it called UPDATE.
- Download the latest update and add it to your UPDATE folder on the USB drive.
- Turn off your PS4, and then attach the USB to the console.
- Boot your system into safe mode by holding down your power button for 7 seconds.
- In safe mode, there is an option called ‘update system software.’
- Follow the directions, and you’ll be able to do it.
5. Disable auto updates
If auto-updates are enabled, your PS4 will turn on by itself at night time to install the updates. Here’s how you can disable this option.
- On your home screen, click on ‘settings.’
- Scroll to the bottom and select ‘system.’
- Now select ‘automatic downloads.’
- Untick the option that reads ‘ system software update files.’
NOTE: This will prevent auto-updates. However, there is no need to uncheck the option of ‘application update files’ because those will only update when your console is turned on.
6. Avoid APU problem
Another cause of your PS4 turning on and off could be with the accelerated processing unit (APU). Sometimes, the APU of your PS4 console may not be fixed to the motherboard. This cannot be repaired, and the only solution is to get a replacement from Sony.
A common reason why the APU becomes loose from the motherboard is due to overheating of the console. To prevent this from happening, take the following steps.
- Make sure there is adequate ventilation for the console to cool off. Remove any object that might be blocking the air ventilation.
- An accessory fan or air conditioner can be used to cool off the system.
- Do not use the console excessively. Overuse can also cause this issue.
7. Check other connected devices
Multi-connectors are becoming used quite commonly to connect multiple devices. This may be why your ps4 turns on then off. A solution is to connect your PS4 directly instead of using connectors.
Also, if you have USB devices connected to the front port, remove them as weak internal connectivity from the console coupled with any activity from the port can cause the PS4 console to shut down.
Also, isolate your TV and PS4 console.
8. Rebuild your database
Rebuilding the database of your PS4 can help solve minor issues that are causing this issue. It can take from few minutes to several hours based on the amount of data you have. It won’t delete your pre-saved data.
NOTE: Make sure your PS4 is fully off and turned on in safe mode before rebuilding your database.
9. Reset your PS4
Resetting your PS4 may help to solve the issue.
Here’s how to do it.
- Turn off your PS4 console. Then unplug the power cable from the back of the console as well a the main power outlet.
- Next, press down on the power button for a couple of seconds.
- Reconnect your power cable after a couple of minutes
- Hold down on it until you hear two beeps.
- Using a USB device, connect your Dual Shock 4 controller to the PS4 console.
- Press on the X button to initialize ‘ps4.’
NOTE: back up your data beforehand. This option will cause all your data to be wiped out. To avoid losing data, click on ‘restart PS4’ instead of ‘initialize PS4.’
- Why is my PS4 fan so loud
- How to fix PS4 turning on and off
- How to fix not enough free system memory on PS4
- How to fix PS4 controller red light
- How to fix orange light on PS4 controller
- How to connect ps4 to laptop
- How to Connect PS4 Slim Audio Output to Speakers
PS4 turning on and off is a very common issue. There are multiple causes of it. As we have discussed, the trick is to try the solutions one by one to rule out the causes and isolate the cause affecting your PS4 console.
Hopefully, this article managed to educate you on how to fix it most simply and comprehensively.