A red light in most situations is a warning indicating that something is wrong. Are you worried about the sudden appearance of the PS4 controller red light? Are you wondering why your PS4 controller keeps blinking and that there may be a problem with it?
There’s no need to worry; you’re in the right place. We’re going to tell you all about it.
Red light on PS4 controller indicates a broken USB port or a faulty charger. If that is not the issue, then it is most likely a hardware problem. Let’s dive deeper into the matter.
Why is my PS4 controller light is red?
If you’re wondering, ‘why is my PS4 controller red?’, then here is a list of the most frequent causes of the red light issue.
1. Defective ribbon cable.
Your PS4 controller possesses a ribbon cable. A cause of the red light issue could be a defective ribbon cable, due to which the controller won’t charge. A solution to that is cleaning the cable using alcohol or a similar cleaning agent. If that fails to work, your last resort is to replace the cable.
2. Loose connection between port and battery
It is always best to check whether the port and battery are correctly connected, as a loose connection can result in an inability to charge PS4 controller.
3. Defective port
A defective port will lead to the inability to charge the battery as a connection between the battery, and port is not established.
4. Old and defective battery
In case your PS4 set is old, the battery could be worn out and defective. In such a case, it is necessary to replace it. Otherwise, you won’t be able to charge your console.
How to fix red light on PS4 controller
Here’s a list of fixes to the PS4 controller blinking problem that you are facing. Hopefully, one of these will work for you and help you in fixing.
1. Unplug the charging cord
If you face the PS4 controller red light when charging, then a hack is to unplug it from the main charging port and then replug after 30 seconds.
2. Replacing DualShock 4 charging cable
Try connecting an alternative charging cable to check for faulty cable. If the light turns orange, then it means that it is charging. When it turns green, it indicated a fully charged status.
3. PS4 controller reset
If you’re experiencing a dual Shock 4 red light issue, resetting your PS4 usually helps fix any snags. Here’s how to do it step-by-step.
- On your controller’s back, there is a reset button beside the L2 button.
- Using a sharp object such as a pin, press this reset button.
- Now using a USB cable, connect your controller and PS4 console.
- Finally, press the PS button on your controller to turn it on.
4. PS4 console reset
A simple turn on and off can do the job! Here’s how to do it.
- Press down on the power button for 10 seconds. You may also do this via the quick start menu.
- Remove the power cord from behind the PS4 console.
- Please wait for a bit, then plug it back in. Now turn on the PS4.
- Plug in your controller and charging cable.
- Press the PS button on the controller to turn it back on.
5. Restart your PS4 in safe mode
Going into safe mode can help combat software issues. However, if your USB ports are faulty, this won’t be of much help. Here’s how to do it.
- Shut down your PS4.
- Press the power button for around 10 seconds. You will hear two beeps.
- Connect your DualShock4 controller to your console using a USB cord
- Press the PS button on the controller to restart it.
6. Change controller ribbon cable
Can the color on PS4 controller be switched?
Every color corresponds to a separate user interface. While you can’t change the color directly on your PS4 controller, you can switch the user to allot a different color.
How can I switch the color?
You switch the color by signing in to another user without logging out. Here’s how you can change the color.
- Create four different user profiles. Each represents one color—Blue, red, green, or yellow.
- Keep signing in to different users to change the color without signing out.
- Do this until you reach the color your desire.
PS4 controller color meaning
So, what do the colors on the PS4 controller mean after all?
We have learned that every user interface represents a different color. These colors are blue, red, yellow and pink.
- BLUE: PLAYER/USER 1
- RED: PLAYER/USER 2
- GREEN: PLAYER/USER 3
- PNIK : PLAYER/ USER 4
In some PlayStation games, the light turning red or blue indicated a particular event occurring in the gameplay.
Additionally, the PS4 controller red light also indicates an overheated device. To prevent that, you should avoid using it against a wall or too close to a surface. You can keep it on a vertical stand to avoid overheating.
- How to fix PS4 Mic echo
- How to fix PS4 controller lag
- Why is my PS4 fan so loud
- How to fix PS4 turning on and off
- How to fix PS4 Lan cable not connected
- Why PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from PC
Now that we’ve discussed in detail why the PS4 controller red light occurs, how to fix it, and what do the colors on the PS4 controller mean, we hope the reader will be able to resolve this issue successfully.