How to Adjust Mic Sensitivity?
In order to decide what may be wrong and whether the issue is hardware or software-related, asking around for solution can certainly help you a lot.
For instance, if the voice sounds muffled or distorted, there may be debris in the microphone or port issue, respectively. Likewise, if the voice is very low or continuously switches between high and low volume, you might have to adjust the sensitivity of the microphone.
These are the hardware issues that can easily be resolved quite easily.
However, there can be software related mic sensitivity issues too.
Here’s how to fix the mic sensitivity in Windows 10.
How to Fix Mic Sensitivity through Settings in Window 10?
- Test the microphone on the Volume Settings tab found on the right bottom corner of your taskbar before you start changing the sensitivity of the microphone.
Let’s first go for the easiest alternative. If your friends inform you that the volume of your voice is way too low or high to a point where the sound distorts, you should know how to lower your mic sensitivity and also how to increase your mic sensitivity as well. Here is how to change mic sensitivity.
- Click on the start menu
- Type in ‘Sound,’ and under the control panel tab, press Sound Settings. You can only see the sound with a volume icon behind it, depending on your start menu settings or theme
- It will open a window (Microphone Properties). Navigate and go to “recordings”
- On your “microphone”, double-click to open the window. A window will open with five tabs. Navigate to levels
- Alternatively, you can right-click the sound icon in the lower right-hand corner (notification area) and then click “Open Sound Settings”.
- In the window that opens, select Input
- In the drop-down menu, pick your microphone device. If you use a headphone, choose a headphone microphone or Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) by default.
- Click on “Device Properties” and then click on “Additional Device Properties”. The properties of microphones will open up. Navigate the “levels”
- The microphone level will be at 50 percent (or +6.1 dB) by default. As per need, increase or reduce it and press Apply
- Try calling someone to carry out the new configurations. If it gets better, but you’re still not looking for it, go back to the level tab and change the Microphone Boost. It will help improve the sensitivity of the microphone by up to +30 dB
Check the Driver in Windows 10
If the problem continues after modifying the settings, it may be a driver-related problem – distorted/broken sound and low volume, or no sound at all, is itself a sign. This is how you can tackle it:
- Press Windows Key + R
- It will open a dialogue box. Typing msc
- Alternatively, you can also type and open the Device Manager from the Start menu.
- Find and collapse the Sound, Video, and Game Controls drop-down.
- Find a microphone for you. Right-click it and click the Drivers Update button.
- Try searching under Unknown Devices again, right-click on an unknown device, and update the driver if you can’t locate your mic.
- You will be asked whether you want to install the driver manually or automatically by opening a wizard. If you have downloaded the driver, press the Manual button. If not, press Check for Drivers on the Internet. Windows will locate the new driver automatically and update it.
There are a few ways to adjust mic sensitivity in windows 10.
Call a friend to test your microphone once done. If you are having problems with the volume levels again, follow part one of this guide on how to change the sensitivity of your microphone.
Hardware-related problems can also occur with headphones that can lead to audio issues. This may involve a loose headphone jack (if you use a headphone mic), microphone debris, or even a broken microphone.
We suggest using a blow drier and blowing out any dust that may have gotten into the mic to clear out dirt. Laptop microphones can be between the front (under the mouse pad), sides (next to the ventilation grill or headphone port), or next to the panel hinges from anywhere, though PCs do not enjoy the luxury.
To learn where the mic is and clean it out completely, you can check your laptop’s handbook.
Now, you should be able to connect with your loved ones clearly and worry-free, following our above guide on how to change mic sensitivity! So, go ahead, and enjoy a distortion-free experience!