Many people use Mac computers with their printers for home-based work or professional setups. However, these computers require perfection to keep working efficiently. Else they would not let you print in peace. If you are also performing your printing activities through a Mac computer, then you might have come across the ‘mac can’t find printer’ or a similar error, or didn’t you?
Well, there are several reasons why your Mac computer starts showing up the error message that your printer does not have any connection with it. Undoubtedly it becomes a nuisance if you have to get your printouts urgently for the following day at work, and you have got no other choice except for fixing the error right away!
This article will discuss your Mac computer that says ‘printer won’t connect to mac’ or any other connectivity error that hinders your work. Besides, we will also guide you on how to get these issues fixed.
What causes printer won’t connect to Mac?
Before we move onto the troubleshooting steps that might help you resolve the error and resuming your work, let’s light on the probable reasons why the ‘printer is not connected’ or ‘printer won’t connect to computer’ error.
- The mode of the printer You must check if you have turned on your printer. If you find your printer in a turned-off state, it is understandable to show the ‘not connected’ message. However, if you encounter the same message while your printer is turned on state, you need to check for other important factors, like cable connections, printer drivers, etc.
- Before you start working on your printer, you have to make sure that the cables connecting your mac computer and printer are excellent. However, if these cables possess an issue, replacing them with new ones would be better. On the contrary, if the cables are not the culprit, you can think of some other reasons, like paper jams, outdated printer drivers, etc.
- Another reason why your Mac is not supporting your printer could be outdated printer drivers Therefore, you have to make sure that you keep your systems updated with the latest software to avoid any similar error that becomes an obstacle in your printing activity.
- Many people have got their Mac computers networked through AppleTalk, which might result in absurd errors. Undoubtedly, your printer would say it cannot connect to Mac if the web browsing is not available. However, you can verify that AppleTalk is active by visiting the Network>Advanced>AppleTalk under ‘system preferences’ in Apple’s menu.
How to fix Mac won’t connect to printer?
To fix the connection issues between your Mac computer and printer, you might need professional help. However, you can also try the easy fixes given below, which are pretty much doable, and see if they help you get rid of the error;
Check if your printer is ready to do its printing work
First and foremost, you have to ensure that your printer is completely functional and does not appear offline before starting working on it. You can prepare your printer with the following methods;
- If you believe that your printer is in sleep mode or offline state, then it is no big deal in saying that you have to press the power button on your printer to turn it on.
- Your printer contains different essential compartments, and one of the important ones is the paper tray. You have to ensure that you have set the papers
- You might want to see the printer’s digital screen for any flashing lights. If there are any, it means there is an issue with ink or toner cartridges. Therefore, please ensure that their installation is satisfactory.
- If you still do not find your printer ready to do the job, you can consider restarting the printer and allow it to get ready for work.
Consider resetting your printer system
If you believe that you have turned on your printer and it seems ready for the printing job, we suggest you opt for resetting your printing system. It might help you eliminate the error. You can follow the steps mentioned below to reset your printing system; however, you can contact technical experts for your help if you find it hard.
- Firstly, you have to select the Apple menu and then click on ‘system preferences.’
- You will see the ‘printers and scanners’ option on your screen. Make sure that you click on it.
- Next, you have to press and hold the ‘control’ key on your keyboard and choose your printer device from the list on your screen.
- Lastly, a menu pops up on your screen where you have to select ‘reset printing system’ to get your desired task done.
Restore your printer connection
Different users possess different types of printer connections with their computers, and some have Network connections while others have USB-connected printers.
- If your printer works on a Wi-Fi connection, please make sure that your router is functioning and not turned off. If you find the router is off or have internet connectivity issues, you need to fix this asap. However, it shows that the problem is not with your printer.
- If your printer supports a USB connection with your Mac computer, you need to make sure that the USB cables and the USB ports are not faulty. However, if the cables are at fault, it would be best to replace them with new ones. Besides, if you find USB ports faulty, you can try different ports.
- If you use a wired network printer on your Mac computer, you need to ensure an excellent connection. Please check the power cable that connects to the primary power source. Besides, you also need to check the cables that connect your printer with your Mac computer.
- How to Fix a Kodak Printer Not Printing Black
- How to Recycle Staple Ink Cartridge
- How to Recycle Toner Cartridge for Cash
- How to Remove Printer Ink From Skin
Without any doubt, you would not want your printing activities to get interrupted while you urgently need to get your work done. However, people using printers with their Mac computers often complain about Mac’s ‘printer is not connected’ error message that stops their printing work then and there. Well, you need not worry since we have tried our best to lessen your stress about the error.
This article has discussed the straightforward fixes that you can try to resolve the error and resume your printing work. Hopefully, it will prove helpful!