Have you ever tried printing a document on your HP printer but experience the error ‘Printer in error state’? Were you dumbfounded by how and why this error occurred and wanted a good guide on how to fix it in no time? Customers experiencing this issue reported that they were unable to resolve it even after countless tries.
Instead of getting frustrated by the issue, one can easily follow this article as it gives a good guide on what the issue is and the HP printer is in an error state: how to fix it. Follow the steps below.
HP Printer In Error State How To Fix:
1. Make sure that printer status is online
Follow these steps to ensure that your printer status is online.
- On the search bar of your windows, open the ‘run’ dialog box.
- Search “control panel” and press “ok”
- Select ‘devices and printers’
- From the list of printers, locate your selected HP printer and untick the option of using the printer offline.
Using these easy steps, you eliminate the HP printer issue in an error state on windows 10.
2. Check printer default mode status
If you see a notification that says ‘HP printer in error state,’ a possible cause is that the printer is not in default mode.
By following these steps, you can solve the issue in no time.
- In the search bar of your windows start menu, open a ‘run’ command dialog box.
- Search ‘control panel’ and press the ok button.
- On the control panel, open ‘devices and printers’
- From the list of printers, go to your HP printer and right-click on it.
- Now press ‘set as the default printer, and your problem is solved.
- A green mark indicating that ‘your printer is set as default’ will appear on your HP printer icon.
3. Printer Pooler Services
The following steps will help you resolve the issue:
- To ensure that your printer pooler services are running and functioning in automatic mode, go to the search bar and type in the Run dialog box in ‘services. msc’
- Scroll down the windows to check if the spooler is in running mode. Also, check if the spooler services are in automatic mode. If they are in manual mode, choose automatic mode.
- Now press ‘apply’ so all your changes can be saved.
- Go to ‘recovery’ and press ‘ first failure.’
- Restart the service and click on ‘apply’ so your settings can be saved.
- This should resolve the issue. Make sure to check now if your HP printer is in an error state.
- If the problem persists, then move on to the next solution.
4. Sort out the printer spooler files
Sort through your spooler files and make sure they are clear. You can do that using the following steps.
- First go to local disk >windows> system 32> spool> printers
- Now go ahead and delete all the files from the folder ‘W32x86.’
- Go to the spooler service option and press ‘restart’ again.
5. Checking for driver updates
- First, check if you can make photocopies using the printer. If you can, you can detect the primary issue with the driver or printer software.
- Check for any new software updates.
6. Restart your devices
- Check if your printer can work on other devices and can print fine.
- Cut off the power cable of your printer while it is turned ON.
- If your printer is connected to other cables, detach those too.
- Your printer’s power button needs to be pressed and held for 15 seconds.
- It is also pertinent that your printer is connected to a wall socket rather than specialized surge protectors.
- Reconnect the detached power cable, and the printer should be able to turn ON by itself. If not, connect manually.
7. Reinstalling the printer driver
- Install and run the ‘HP print and scan’ software. This will help resolve the printer driver issues.
- Your printer must be able to work fine by now. If the issue does not resolve on its own, uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.
- In your windows search bar, open the programs and features option.
- Search and select your HP printer.
- Select the uninstall option.
- In windows, search and open the ‘devices and printers’ option.
- In the ‘devices and printers’ option, look for your printer and right-click on it to remove the device/delete the printer.
- Next, run a command using the ‘windows + R’ key. This will open up a run command.
- Now type ‘printui.exe /s’ and select ok.
- Click on drivers that are labeled by the tab.
- Search for the HP printer driver
- When you locate the driver, click on it and select remove below. Press ok.
- Click on apply and ok on print server properties windows
- Close the option of devices and printers.
8. Check printer hardware
Make sure all the hardware is connected properly.
- Wires should be connected as well.
- The printer should not be in sleep mode.
- The printer cartridge should be filled.
- Your input tray should have enough paper.
- Make sure there is no paper jam issue.
- How to Find WPS Pin On HP Printer
- How to Reset HP 61 Ink Cartridge
- How to factory reset HP printer
- How to Fix Ink System Failure on HP Printer
- How to fix HP Officejet 3830 not printing in color
- How to Fix HP Envy 4500 Scan to Computer Error
This article provides a holistic guide to the HP printer in an error state issue. Hopefully, this guide will help fix the issue in no time. Generally, HP printers are very reliable printers and provide good quality printing on the go. Scroll up to get the best possible solutions for common issues related to HP printer error issues.
If you need further assistance on the issue, HP support can be contacted. Contact info has been provided. In addition, our diagnostic run tool on the support page can be run to resolve the issue quickly.