Have you replaced an ink cartridge from the Epson printer with a new one? Has your Epson printer stopped working after changing an ink cartridge? Epson printers are one of the best printers known for printing high-quality photos and professional documents. However, most users face the ‘Epson printer not recognizing new ink cartridge’ issue.
There are multiple reasons behind the ‘Epson printer not printing after changing ink’ issue. Mostly there are problems with the Epson printer cartridges. In general, the Epson printer doesn’t recognize the new ink cartridge. That’s why the printer doesn’t print after changing the cartridge.
Keep reading to learn about why the Epson printer doesn’t print and how to fix the problems with Epson printer cartridges.
Why is my Epson printer not printing correctly?
The high-performing Epson printer can stop printing after changing the ink due to the following reasons;
- You installed the cartridge while the printer was powered off.
- There’s a low level of ink.
- Hardware problems or outdated printer driver.
- Faulty printer chip.
- Printer offline issues due to the defective power cord or internet issues.
- Improper lever position.
- The cartridge can be incompatible.
- No paper in the input tray.
First, try to find why the Epson printer does not print after changing the ink. Don’t always suspect the cartridge. Even though there’s a high chance of problems with Epson printer cartridges, there can also be offline printer issues.
Check whether the printer is online and if the printer and computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi. Only then suspect the cartridges.
How to fix the Epson printer not printing after changing ink?
There can be problems with Epson printer cartridges, or there can be offline printer issues.
Epson printer cartridge problems
Below are some recommended ways which can solve your problems with Epson printer cartridges;
Fix 1: Remove the taping
Most Epson ink cartridges have a small protective band that remains affixed on the cartridge’s spouts. The affixed protective tape/band stops the ink discharged from the cartridge’s nozzle. In simple words, the taping protects the ink from leaking when stored. Therefore, one should remove the small protective taping after installing the cartridge to print smoothly. Or else no ink will flow, and the Epson printer won’t print after changing the ink cartridge.
Fix 2: Bypass the built-in check system
Sometimes the Epson printer fails to recognize the new cartridge. The printer’s system reads the ink level as empty.
You can bypass this built-in checking system by following the below-given steps that will reset the cartridge quickly;
- Open or raise the printer’s top cover and hold the ‘Ink button’.
- Now you can let the Ink Cartridge holder move towards the accurate cartridge access position.
- You need to open the cartridge’s lid that is ‘out‘ of ink and lower the lid again without taking out the cartridge.
- Lastly, close the printer cover to start printing.
Remember that this reset process can vary between different Epson printer models. Therefore, you should refer to the printer’s user manual for more accurate steps.
Fix 3: Perform a cleaning cycle
The ink inside the cartridge dries up if the ink cartridge is stored for a certain period. So, perform an extended cleaning cycle to resolve this problem and start printing.
- Locate the ‘Cleaning‘ button in your Epson printer and long-press it for five seconds. And you are done!
You can also use the manual to learn more about the extended cleaning cycle. Once you are done with the cleaning cycle, do a test print to check if printing is back to normal.
Fix 4: Cartridge refilling problems
Although it’s a good and economical idea to refill your ink cartridges instead of buying new cartridges. However, if you don’t refill the cartridge correctly, it will result in printing problems.
- Always make sure to refill the ink in such a way that the ink reaches the bottom of the tank. If the ink doesn’t reach the bottom of the tank, you can inject additional ink into the sponge through the exit hole.
- Air bubbles can form during the refilling process and block the ink flow. In such a case, take out the problematic cartridge and leave it for an hour unused. This will allow the air bubble to disappear. In addition, you can tap the ink cartridge gently to remove the bubbles.
Epson printer causing the printing error
Fix 5: Update the Driver
The outdated printer drivers can cause technical issues. So, download the latest version to fix the ‘Epson printer not printing after changing ink’ issue.
Fix 6: Clean the printer heads
The dirty printer heads can also cause printing problems. Clean your printer heads by following the below-given steps;
- Open the Control Panel on your computer and click on the ‘Hardware and Sound’
- Next, click on the ‘Devices and Printers’
- Now right-click on the Epson printer to choose Printing preferences.
- Lastly, click on the ‘Head Cleaning’ option and wait for a few minutes until the printer head cleaning process completes.
Now you can print smoothly even after changing the ink cartridge.
Fix 7: Reset the printer
Resolve the ‘Epson printer not printing after changing ink’ issue by resetting your printer.
If you have tried the above-given solutions yet you are facing a printing error, you can troubleshoot this problem with additional help from the customer support team of the Epson printer.
Frequently Asked Question
Why is my Epson printer not printing when the ink tank is full?
The cartridge might be old, and the printer doesn’t recognize it. In addition, clogged nozzles can also cause printing problems.
By now, you know why the Epson printer won’t print after changing the ink cartridge. You can quickly resolve the issue by cleaning the printer heads, resetting the printing, or bypassing the built-in checking system.