Undoubtedly, the fantastic and beloved Discord does not need any detailed introduction. Being an enthusiastic online gamer, you must be familiar with the app owing to its exceptionally unique features. Using Discord, you can communicate with your in-game partners through voice and video chats. Moreover, you can also share media with them and enjoy the discord screen sharing feature plus audio.
However, like any other app, Discord also tends to bug you sometimes. But mostly, these errors are fixable, and you can get rid of them quickly. One such error you might face when trying to update Discord and fails to do so. If you get a Discord update failed error, your app might cause multiple errors.
The Discord update failed error is not problematic, and you can eliminate it by applying the mentioned below fixes.
What causes Discord Update Failed Loop error?
Multiple reasons might interrupt your Discord to update to the latest version, but here we will discuss the primary reasons only;
Poor internet connection is responsible for causing many problems, not only on Discord but on any other app installed on your device. To get your Discord updated, you need to make sure that your device has an excellent and uninterrupted internet connection, else you cannot get your task done.
If you have antivirus programs installed on your device, brace yourself because they are also a major cause of multiple errors. It would be best if you clean these files from your device to update your Discord.
Corrupted Discord files
Another probable reason you are facing the Discord update failed loop error while updating the app is corrupt local Discord files. It would help if you remove these files and allow Discord to get updated without any error-causing agents in the background.
How to fix Discord update failed error?
As mentioned earlier, Discord update failed error is not a big deal, and you do not have to tense yourself on it. Following are some straightforward and quick fixes for the error;
1. Grant Administrator Rights
The Discord demands administrative access for many tasks, and not granting access to it can give rise to several errors. Therefore, only by granting administrative access you can solve the error right away. To run Discord as an administrator, make sure you follow the steps as under sequentially;
- First and foremost, if you are a windows 10 user, please open the taskbar and search for ‘Discord.’
- Next, you have to make a right-click on ‘Discord’ and select ‘properties.’
- When the next window pops up, please make sure that you open the ‘compatibility’ tab, where you have to tick the ‘run as administrator’ option.
- Lastly, to get your app updated, please make sure that you click on ‘yes’ and allow the Discord to run, given that the User Account Control prompts your app.
2. Rename Discord update.exe File
To get your Discord updated to the latest version, please make sure that you rename the Discord update.exe file since many people believe that it might causes errors while you attempt to update the app.
To rename the file, make sure you follow the steps as under;
- Firstly, open the ‘AppData’ folder and use the key combinations of windows + R to open the ‘run’ window.
- Next, when your file explorer opens up, you have to look for the ‘local’ folder and then the ‘Discord’ folder.
- Inside the Discord folder, there is an ‘update.exe’ file, and you have to make a right-click on it and choose ‘rename.’
- Then you have to type ‘updateX.exe’ and press enter to save it.
- Now try to update your discord app.
If this method did not work for your try moving your Discord folder somewhere else and try from there.
3. Disable Windows Defender
As mentioned earlier, sometimes the antivirus programs already built-in in your computer might interrupt the Discord update; therefore, it would be best if you disable these windows defenders temporarily and see if the error persists.
To disable your windows defender, please follow the steps as under;
- Using the key combinations, press Windows + I so that the ‘settings’ application pops up on your screen.
- You will see an ‘update and security’ tab. Please make sure you click on it.
- Then keep moving to ‘windows security’ > ‘virus and threat protection’ and ‘manage settings’ sequentially.
- You will see a ‘real-time protection’ bar, which you need to toggle off to turn off the windows defender completely.
- Once you have followed the steps mentioned above appropriately, try rerunning the Discord, and please make sure that you do not forget to grant it administrator access.
4. Disable Firewall
To disable the firewall, it would be best if you follow the steps as under;
- Firstly, open the search bar and type in ‘firewall.’ Next, you have to click ‘open.’
- Next, you will see ‘turn windows defender firewall on or off,’ make sure you click on it.
- Then under the ‘windows defender firewall,’ you have to uncheck the ‘block all incoming connections’ box.
- Make sure that you click on ‘ok’ to save the settings and see if you still see the Discord update failed error.
5. Disable Antivirus
Different antivirus on your computer might cause errors related to Discord update. Therefore, to eliminate the Discord update failed loop error, you can try disabling the antivirus temporarily and see if it works for you.
Follow the steps as under to disable the antivirus;
- First and foremost, open the ‘task manager’ from the taskbar.
- Next, expand the task manager since it displays mainly in a precise form. To extend the details, you need to click on ‘more details.’
- A window pops up on your screen. There is a header menu at the top of the window, and using that, you have to open the ‘start-up’ tab.
- A list shows up on your screen where you have to look for your antivirus app.
- Once you find your antivirus app, you have to click on the ‘disable’ button present on the bottom-right of your screen.
- Following the steps mentioned above will disable your antivirus app temporarily. Before you check if the error persists, make sure you restart your PC.
6. Reinstall and Clear AppData
Reinstalling or clearing up Discord’s data comes to the rescue when none of those mentioned above measures does work for you.
To get your hands on this fix, make sure that you follow the steps as under;
- Firstly, you have to uninstall the Discord, for which you have to press Windows + I so that the ‘settings’ application opens up.
- Then you have to click on the ‘apps’ tab.
- A list appears on the screen showing different programs on your computer. Find Discord in the list.
- Once you find ‘Discord,’ click on it and then make your next click on ‘uninstall.’
- However, there are some remaining files that you need to delete as well. Therefore, you need to press Windows + R to open the ‘run’ window.
- Then type in ‘%appdata%’ and select ‘ok.’
- The appdata folder from the file explorer will appear on your screen.
- Open “Roming” folder
- Here you have to find the Discord folder. Make a right-click on the folder and select ‘delete.’
- The step mentioned above deletes all the remaining files of the uninstalled Discord app.
- Next, you have to visit the official Discord website and download the latest version of the app.
- How to Use Discord on PS4?
- How to Fix Discord Awaiting Endpoint
- How to Fix Discord Overlay Not Working Error
- How to have a discord invisible profile picture
Understandably, the Discord update failed error may bother you since you cannot use the app smoothly without getting your app updated. However, the error is fixable. In this article, we have tried our best to cover the causes of the Discord update failed loop error and the simple fixes that you can try to resolve the error. We hope it will prove helpful!