Why is My Canon Printer Offline on Mac?
Here’s why a Canon printer appears offline on a Mac;
- Connection Issues: The USB cable is loose and not connected correctly, or there are issues with the wireless network connection.
- Outdated printer drivers
- You recently changed your router’s password.
- Printer queue: Stuck or failed print jobs can affect the printer’s status.
- Printing system issues: Corrupted settings or misconfigurations within the printing system can disrupt communication between the devices.
- The printer’s offline mode is enabled.
- Incompatible Mac system updates
By addressing the underlying problem, you can successfully bring your printer back online.
How to Get My Canon Printer Online on Mac?
The Canon printer can be connected to the Mac computer via two methods;
- Wireless connection
- USB connection
We have summarized the steps below according to the connection you used when the offline error occurred.
If your printer is wirelessly connected to Mac, here’s how to fix the Canon printer offline on Mac;
- Begin by rebooting the printer first. Press and hold the printer’s power button for 3-4 seconds to reboot.
- Now turn on your Mac computer and select the Apple icon.
- Choose ‘System preferences’ and then ‘Printers and Scanners.’
- Delete the current Canon printer model from the list.
- Switch on the printer and set it up again for wireless connection.
- Next, connect the printer wirelessly to the router and uninstall the Canon printer drivers.
- Reinstall the latest printer drivers on the Mac.
- Again, click the Apple icon and choose ‘System Preferences’
- Select the ‘Printers and Scanners’ option and choose ‘+’ to add your Canon printer.
Now you can test print any document to see if the offline error remains.
If your printer is connected to Mac via a USB cable, follow these steps to make your printer back online;
- Reboot the printer by pressing its power button for 5 seconds.
- Next, delete the Canon printer from the Printers and Scanners list on Mac.
- Uninstall the printer drivers and remove the USB cable from the printer and Mac.
- Reinstall the latest Canon printer drivers on Mac and restart the printer by pressing the power button.
- Connect your Canon printer to the Mac via a USB cable.
- Finally, go to the Printer and Scanners settings to add your Canon printer to the list.
We hope the printer is back online. If it isn’t, there are some additional solutions summarized below.
Additional Solutions to Resolve the Canon Offline Issue
Here are other solutions to get your Canon printer back online on Mac;
1. Reset the Apple printing settings
Follow these steps to reset the printing system;
- Switch on your Mac and click the Apple icon.
- Go to System Preferences and then select Printer and Scanners.
- A window will pop up. Right-click and select the ‘Reset Printing System’ option.
- Enter the username and password, and choose the ‘OK button.
- Now add your printer by selecting the ‘+’ option.
- And voila! You can resume your printing.
2. Enable the resume printing option
Here’s how to resume printing on Mac;
- Switch on your Mac device and choose the ‘Printer’ icon.
- A Printers Queue window will pop up.
- If you see the ‘Resume’ button, press it, or else your printer will remain paused.
- However, if there’s another print task in the queue, choose that task and select the ‘Delete Job’ option.
3. Remove paper jams
Here’s how to remove paper jams from the Canon printer;
- Switch the Canon printer, retract the output tray, and open the cover.
- Don’t touch the clear film.
- Remove the jammed papers cautiously and close the printer cover.
- Finally, delete all the printing jobs to start printing again.
4. Eliminate multiple printers
If multiple printers are added to the Mac, it won’t recognize your current Canon printer and will cause an offline error.
Here’s how to remove the multiple printers;
- Select “System Preferences” and go to “Printers & Scanners” on Mac.
- Remove all the other printers except the Canon printer.
- Finally, select your Canon printer from the list and choose the “Set as Default” button if it is not already selected.
Why is my Canon printer saying it’s offline?
The Canon printer may appear offline on Mac due to connection issues, outdated drivers, printer queue problems, enabled offline mode, or compatibility issues with the Mac operating system.
How do I get the Canon printer back online?
Check the cable or wireless connection, ensure the printer and Mac are on the same network, restart both devices and update the printer drivers to establish a proper connection.
How do I update Canon printer drivers on a Mac?
Visit the Canon official website, search for the latest printer drivers compatible with your specific model and Mac OS version, and download and install them following the provided instructions.
What is the printing system reset on a Mac?
Resetting the printing system on a Mac clears the printer queue and removes all printers from the list. It helps eliminate any errors within the printing system and allows you to add your Canon printer again.
If none of the above-given solutions worked, you can reach out to the Canon support team, and the experts will resolve the problem.