Several people out there might own both the PS3 and PS4 consoles owing to their love for PS console gaming. They often try to take the maximum benefit of exchanging both the consoles’ accessories with each other. However, a usual question that comes up here is, can you use ps3 controller on ps4 console? Not to forget, there is always a possibility to everything!
Although we cannot say that PS4 officially supports your PS3 controller, but with thorough research, we can say that different ways can make you use your PS3 controller on the PS4 console. Some gamers might use modded PS3 controllers to make this happen, but that damages their machinery. By the time you finish reading this article, you will have your answers to this crucial question.
So, let’s get started and explore the possibilities of using a PS3 controller on the PS4 console and other relevant stuff.
Can you use PS3 controller on PS4 console?
Let’s picture a scenario that after years of playing PS3, you buy a second-hand PS4 console along with its accessories, for example, the DS4 controller, it is all fun and excitement until you get to know that your PS4 controller is not working for some reason, what will be your next move? Most probably, you will try connecting your PS3 controller to your PS4.
Officially, Sony has not designed PS4 consoles to support PS3 or earlier controllers. Indeed, several features of PS4 are not compatible with a PS3 controller, but we have a piece of great news to cherish you, that it is possible to use a PS3 controller on PS4.
Can you use your PS3 Bluetooth remotes on PS4?
If you have used a PS3 console, you must know that your PS3 console works as a DVD player and play different movies. You require a remote, and Sony had launched PS3 bluetooth remote that made everything easy.
Unfortunately, you cannot use the PS3 Bluetooth remote on PS4 console. However, there are PS4 Bluetooth remotes available in the market for you to buy that have similar functionality as that of PS3.
What do you need to pair a PS3 controller with a PS4?
To pair your PS3 controllers with a PS4 console, you would need to have special controller converters, also known as adapters, so that you can use your PS3 controller on PS4 as well. Besides, there is no evidence that Sony provides adapters for pairing a PS3 controller with a PS4 console. However, you can buy one from a third party.
Particularly to connect the PS3 controller on PS4, the Gam3Gear Brook Super Converter should work for you. However, if you want to use multiple different controllers on different devices, several other converters are also available. However, the former one is cheaper, unlike the latter.
Another flawless adapter is available on Amazon CronusMax Plus Cross Over Gaming Adapter. Although slightly expensive than others but worth the money since it makes PS3 controllers work exactly similar to PS4 controllers.
Compatibility of different controllers on PS4
As mentioned earlier, PS3 Bluetooth remotes do not go hand-in-hand with PS4 consoles, and gamers do not seem to appreciate it much. Therefore, it would be best to have an overview of what controllers are compatible with PS4 consoles to save our energy and time later on.
It is a no-brainer to state that all the Dual Shock 4 controllers work smoothly on PS4 consoles. Besides, it is important to mention that different brands like Razer, Hori, etc., produce third-party controllers with good compatibility on PS4.
Let’s move on to an organized table where you can see which controllers are compatible with PS4.
|Top||Playstation DualSense Controller||Prime||Check Price|
|NACON Pro V3 PS Controller||Prime||Check Price|
|DualShock 4 Wireless Controller||Prime||Check Price|
How to connect a PS3 controller to a PS4 console?
Connecting your PS3 controller to the PS4 console becomes pretty much smooth and straightforward, given that you follow the guide sequentially. Without any further delay, let’s see what do you need to do to connect PS3 controller to a PS4;
Unpair all controllers connected to the PS4 console
- Before doing anything, make sure that you unpair all the controllers connected to your PS4 console.
- As mentioned earlier, to proceed, you need to have a CronusMax Plus adapter that comes with instruction and small USB cables.
- Turn off your PS4 and then plug the adapter into the PS4 console’s USB port.
- Next, you need to turn on the PS4.
- A dashboard with almost all of your games appears on the screen. You need to scroll upwards and navigate to ‘Settings.’
- Then go for ‘Devices’ and then ‘Bluetooth devices.’
- Open a ‘DS4 controller’ from the list showing up on the screen and then choose ‘Forget Device.’
- Now you need to choose ‘Ok’ that disconnects the PS4 controller from CronusMax plus.
Set up CronusMax plus
- Take your Cmax plus adapter and plug it into your PC using the USB cable. Make sure you plug it into the 2.0 USB port.
- Next, you need to download the Cronus Pro software and install it.
- After installing, open it and select ‘Tools’ and then ‘Options.’
- Inside ‘Options,’ there is a ‘Device’ tab which you need to open, then click on the box under ‘Output protocol.’ Lastly, select ‘PS4.’
- Now you need to select the following options
- Enable remote control of slot on each device.
- The device will remember the last active slot when restarted.
- Inframe out.
- 1ms Response.
- Within Options, there is another box named ‘Rumbled over Bluetooth.’ Make sure you select ‘Disabled’ here.
- Move on to the Cmax tab within Options, select ‘Enable PS4 partial cross over support.’
- Now exit the window and unplug the adapter from the PC.
- Now plug the adapter into your PS4 console.
- Next, you need to connect your PS3 controller to the CronusMax adapter.
- See the first LED light on your controller to check if your PS3 controller is connected or not. The light should light up if the connection is supported. Besides, CronusMax has a small screen that would show ‘0’, indicating the controller’s confirmed connection.
- If you have done the steps mentioned above correctly, you are all set to use your PS3 controller on PS4.
Connect PS3 controller on PS4 console via ‘Wired.’
To play games on your PS4 using a wired PS3 controller, follow these simple steps;
- Begin with plugging in Cmax plus adapter into your PS4.
- Then connect the adapter using the given USB cable with your PS3 controller.
- If you have connected the adapter with the PS3 controller successfully, the controller’s first LED light must light up to confirm the pairing.
- Also, make sure that the screen of the adapter reads’ 0.’
Check out our article how to fix PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from PC issue.
We have mentioned how you can enjoy your PS4 games using a wired PS3 controller. However, if you want to use a wireless controller, follow the steps as under;
- You have to prepare a Bluetooth adapter.
- Next, plug in the Cmax plus adapter into your PS4 console.
- To proceed, you need to plug the Bluetooth adapter into your Cmax plus adapter.
- Make sure you press the PS button on the controller, after which you should see the four LED lights flashing right away.
- Also, note the first LED light flash and the display screen of the Cmax plus adapter, which should show ‘0.’ It confirms the controller’s pairing.
- Now try if you can play games on PS4 using a wireless PS3 controller.
Learn how to fix PS4 keeps disconnecting from WIFI problem.
- Can you jailbreak a PS4
- How much is my PS4 worth
- How to hack PS4
- Can you use discord on PS4
- How to join PS4 party chat on PC
- How to play PS2 games online
You might happen to encounter a scenario where you need to use your PS3 controller on the PS4 console to continue your gameplay at the moment. Therefore, you must know if you can connect your PS3 controller to PS4 or not and how you can do it. We have tried to cover nearly everything relevant, and we hope the guide will prove helpful.